Friday, October 3, 2008

Maryn's first purchase

I am so proud of Maryn.  About a month ago, I was having a really hard time shopping with her because she would just beg me for everything!  What she's wanted most?  A leopard Webkinz! It's all we've heard about.  So, I explained to her how she can earn some money and save up by doing EXTRA jobs for me and then she could buy it herself.  At first, she didn't really take to the idea.  But insisting it was the only way she'd get one before Christmas, she warmed up and started to make some money.  Once she started and caught on to the idea, she really took to it...now I wasn't easy, and she really did some big jobs and things willingly and without complaining or asking for help.  When we were in the store and she saw something she might want, she asked me how much it cost and I could see the little wheels in her head turning figuring out it she could earn that kind of money or not.  Needless to say, after a month of saving, today was the day, we took her ten dollars to the store and she counted it out for the cashier to purchase her prize!

DSC_0004 DSC_0005

6 comments:

Ryan & Keri said...

Janine, you're such a great mother--always teaching your children. She'll remember this lesson of working hard to earn, saving, and then budgeting. Way to go! You're amazing!

Sarah said...

Yahoo for Maryn!! It's so cute. Way to work hard!

Rilely and Jeremy did that. Whenever they ask for things that's what we say. You'll have to ask Santa or you can earn money and buy it. It sure helps and I think it's satisfying for them too. When they get it anyway!

Kami P. said...

That's awesome. We've been doing that with Alivia lately as well and I think it is so smart to teach them about earning money at such a young age. Whenever we've needed to bribe Livi about something it's with money now instead of a treat...like "If you go right to sleep and don't come out of your room we'll give you a quarter" or "if you clean up your room really good you get a dime" and it works like a charm. And she's got a piggy bank she keeps all her money in. We just went to Target the other day cuz she wanted to by earings and it was so cute to see her so proud of her earnings. Now she's saving up for playdough.

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Good for you! We were at Toys R Us buying a birthday present yesterday and Brandon wanted stuff. I told him he could work for it or wait until Christmas. I think he decided he didn't want it that much!

Mandy said...

That is such a great idea. More parents should do this. My stepson Pearce always asks for things and I'll tell him he can work for it and buy it himself but then he just asks his mom for it. So annoying!

mahina said...

that is such an important lesson to teach our children! i love that our girls have been able to buy their own things with their own money!

way to go maryn!

Blog Archive