Sunday, January 18, 2009

resolution

to introduce this, i would like to present a little conversation between my mom and maryn on the way to church!

scene: everyone in the mad rush trying to get to church....finally into the car....maryn driving in the car with my mom and maiya and wondering why we all have to be in such a frenzy to get to church on time.

mom: blah blah blah blah blah....and that is why it is very disrespectful to heavenly father to be late for church.

maryn: well gramma, it's not disrespectful in oregon!

nice.  did i teach you that? perfect. now, ironically, one of the things i hate most in this world is to be late.  i never used to be late.  in fact, i was always the one sent to church 35 minutes early to make sure nobody took up "our pew". fast forward to my union with the cowboy who does not run on the time written on clocks but rather the time that it takes to git-r-dun. (by the way, you're hot and i love you!) i found myself for the first few years, being furious each sunday by the time we got into church and slowly found myself falling into this awful rut....where now, i'm often the one lagging behind. (3 kids, lesson preparing i.e. printers that won't print out the dang visual aids, etc., 8:30am church) but all lame excuses aside, i still hate being late for church and regrettably, we still are usually late.   this also culminated with our names being read in as 'new members' of the ward and us waltzing down the isle to 'the pew' as they read out our names (you are supposed to stand when they read your name) and because i was already standing....marching in infact, i felt obligated to do this little curtsy/wave thing to the congregation (it was a reflex, i swear). embarrassing. and more so when you get home and your family is dying laughing about it around the dinner table. so this year i decided, this is it.  it is going to happen.  we are changing our ways.  right now, we are 0 for 3 but we have made it to our seats before the opening hymn...slight improvement but not quite the improvement i was hoping for.  so we're working on this one. so i'm bracing myself for when we finally get it right and semi-holding my breath for the standing ovation the ward will give us when the prelude music welcomes the grover clan to their seats in a most respectful way.

9 comments:

lynsey said...

we just changed from 9am to 11am church and i am pleased to announce that the straders were on time this week! it's a MIRACLE. best of luck to you!

ps-hilarious about the little "wave" :)

Sarah said...

Wheee! I'm looking forward to Tuesday! And I don't notice your arrival time ;). We're do busy doing the arrival shuffle ourselves, I guess.

Annalee and Buck said...

Hi, I'm Annalee, Blake's wife. :) I'm sure Eric has told you about him (they were roomies in Idaho), and Eric gave us the site to your blog so I hope I don't creep you out when I tell you that we follow your blog. Anyways first of all, your family is beautiful, you guys have the cutest kids ever. And second I wanted to comment this post because I can relate to this very well. We are ALWAYS late for church. And we don't even have any kids yet, so we don't even have the good excuses. Only I'll admit it's usually me. Blake is always waiting on me, and getting frustrated with me. I kinda wish my cowboy would run a little more on git-r-done time because then I wouldn't look so bad. So I'm in the same boat and I promised him we would be 5 minutes early next sunday :) We both chuckled at Maryn's cute comment and Blake insisted that I comment you and tell you I'm much worse and not to feel bad :)
Oh and Blake says hi to Eric

Bridget said...

I can count the number of times I have been late to church on one hand. If I'm not at least ten minutes early I am frantic. I know the feeling- HATE being late. Good luck with your resolution!

Lindsey said...

Hey Good Luck with that one. In fact, that's my goal this year too. I hate being late for church. We were always so late we missed the Sacrament. I wish you all the luck in the WORLD. I have it a little easier though, church starts at 1:00. NO EXCUSE THIS YEAR.

Heidi said...

I was always late pre-kids and felt bad that I never really had a good excuse. Wanna know what fixed that? Being called as the organist. So you should volunteer. Guarantee you'd be on time, if not early!! :) Best of luck to you, I'm back to barely making it on time post-release!!

mahina said...

haha! things are way different in oregon! i love it! that girl is sassy!

i, too, very much dislike being late! and when i married mitch that became a thorn in my side. but over the past 9 years he has helped me relaz and i have helped him to care more and we have reached a happy middle ground where we actually are on-time if not early!

give it a little more time and you may get there!

Ryan & Keri said...

This cracks me up so much and yest I completely understand!

Tanners said...

absolutley love your blog!! so fun to see you guys again. we miss you over here in oregon. ethan and i have been lonely especaially when we were stranded on the hill for weeks because of snow. we think about ya lots. how's the p90x going? i think that is way cool that you're doing it. don't worry about the pull up thing because i couldn't do any and then at the end i could do two!! i was proud. anyway, take care.

Blog Archive